The before and after of my dogs Lickimats.
Providing physical exercise is a great and necessary step to keeping our dogs happy but channeling their mind is important. If a dog is bored or frustrated due to a lack of stimulation they will often come up with their own ways to challenge their minds which can result in destructive behaviours. Examples include excessive barking, digging, escaping or chewing. So rather than increasing your walks, throwing a ball to wear them out or letting them sleep around all day - start adding some enrichment to their routine.
What examples are there of enrichment ideas?
- Puzzle Games and Interactive Feeders
- Snuffle Mats
- Cardboard box with newspaper
- Baking tins and Tennis balls
But why do they need enrichment?
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Destroys boredom and keeps them occupied for a longer period of time
- Promotes good mental and physical stimulation
- Builds their confidence
- Encourages them to engage in natural and instinctive behaviours
- Good for problem solving
- Slows down your dogs feeding time, helping to avoid scoffing and consequently minimising the risk of bloat.
- Can be used as a training aid
- Tongue and teeth cleaner
Whilst currently on holiday and settling down of an evening to watch a movie - my boys have been enjoying their Lickimats which keeps them occupied for me to enjoy the movie but at the same time providing them with enrichment.